Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Om Nom Nom

As promised I'm back with another development in the ever growing additions of RED in our kitchen.  I recently threw a "Pinterest Party," a.k.a. an excuse to eat, drink and do crafty projects with friends.  I worked on a few projects, but I'm here to talk about one in particular, being how I added some wordy fun to our kitchen.  My "Pintspiration" came from a few places like this:

credit to The Crafty Sparrow
I liked the idea of graphic letters in a space, especially in the kitchen.  My hang up came when I thought about what word(s) to feature. I'm not the type to go with something traditional like the above "eat," or "food," or "love." Those just felt too.. expected. But eventually I figured it out (and jumped for joy when Phil approved)...





Yes, you read that right. Our kitchen now says "Om nom nom." Hopefully most of you reading this understand what this means, because after attempting to explain what "om nom nom" means to my parents, I realized it is very hard to define.

The project itself was very cheap and easy to do. I picked up the cardboard letters from Hobby Lobby for $2.50 a piece.  We knew right away we wanted to put them above the cabinets (we had been wanting to fill that space with something for a while, but had never quite figured out the right thing). We grappled for a while on what to do with them, color-wise. The original idea was to do a faux-metal treatment with tin foil and black paint in hopes it would like like rustic tin.  But after the knife block went red, and the red frame came into the kitchen I realized it would be awesome if the letters, too, were red.  And in another stroke of luck, Phil approved of red letters as well (Phil tends to not like most of my more quirky ideas so I was truly shocked when he OK'd this project).  So during my Pinterest Party I (with the help of my friend Jo), painted these bad boys red, again using more of the free paint provided by my friend Megan's poor judgement.  Making the total cost $20.


Isn't it fabulous how the red all ties together now? It looks purposeful, and as if we now have a consistent accent color happening.  Six months ago I never would have guessed red would be a prominent color in our blue and brown kitchen, but now that it is, I'm in love.

Lesson(s) Learned: Don't be afraid to show your personality in your house. While some people might find the "om nom nom" to be silly or stupid or just plain weird, I love it and it really shows our personality.  And I love that every time someone comes into our kitchen we get some hearty chuckles bouncing around the room.  And unless you are a Bluth and are living in a model home, there's really no one to please but yourself. So just do whatever makes you smile. And be happy with that.

Anyone else taking quirky risks in their house? How do you guys show your personality through your decor?

No comments:

Post a Comment