Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Trip Down Memory Lane

When updating my frames with some new pictures the other day, I realized that I have a habit that may be worth sharing.  Maybe everyone does this, but if not, everyone should.  Basically, to whatever extent your frames allow, a fun way to have periodic trips down Memory Lane, straight through the heart of Nostalgiaville, is to keep any pictures you replace in your frames hibernating behind your new picture. Bonus points if you keep a consistent subject in said frame (i.e., a child, a pet, a particular friend or group of friends).  Instead of taking old photos out and throwing them in an old shoebox somewhere, let them renew their lease in your frame....

Nest pictures behind each other in a frame for a surprise visit from the past each time you open it up!
What this allows you to do is get a surprise visit from your old pictures, and witness the development and growth of the subjects over time every time you open the frame to pop in a new picture.  My parents did this with my yearly school pictures when I was growing up, and it was so fun to get to see them in succession each time a new one came along. So I've found myself doing this with my picture frames as well, and enjoyed watching my timeline with my best friend Kristen develop when I added an updated picture of us today...



The top picture is circa 2006, middle picture is circa 2009 and the bottom picture is from this past summer. It warmed my heart and brought back fond memories to find the top picture tucked behind the middle picture (which had been front and center in the frame until today), and it will warm my heart next time I add a new picture to see one more to reminisce over (and so on for years to come...).



It's my little secret that that picture frame holds a little piece of friendship history!

Lesson Learned: While no one else may ever know, it's super fun to have hidden pieces of nostalgia and sentimentality scattered about your house, and nesting old photos behind each other in a frame is a fantastic way to do just that!

I'm genuinely curious... have any of you ever done this, or is this a relatively novel concept for most people?

2 comments:

  1. I've done it Julia! :) Same thing, too - with an old friend's photo. I love it. I always forget I've overlapped the photos and it's probably never been intentional, but I love it nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of this, you usually do forget you've done it until you go to put in a new picture and then it's a happy little surprise! I love it too. :)

      Delete